2 cups of maple sugar or natural cane sugar, divided
6 tablespoons water
2 cups 1% vanilla soy milk
1 1/2 cups nonfat egg substitute
3/4 cup low-fat silken tofu (6 ounces)
2 tablespoonss of tapioca flour or cornstarch (I use the cornstarch)
1 tablespoon gf vanilla extract
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 vanilla bean (optional)
1. In a heavy saucepan over low heat, cook 1 1/2 cups sugar and water, stirring occasionally, until sugar becomes a golden color, about 5 minutes.
2. Pour the caramelized sugar into 8 individual custard cups or 1 large souffle dish. Turn the dish and tilt it so the sides and bottome are coated. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350. Fill a shallow baking pan 1/4 full of water.
4. In a blender or food processor, combine soy milk, egg substitute, tofu, 1/2 cup sugar, tapioca flour or cornstarch, vanillan extract and maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
5. If using vanilla bean, split it lengthwise using a sharp knife and then scrape the seeds into the mixture.
6. Pour pixture into prepared dish(es) and place in the pan of water. Bake in preheated oven until custard is just firm, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool before unmolding flans. Do not unmold until ready to use. Run a knife around the edges to loosen before unmolding.